Translate

Monday 13 June 2016

20mm WW2 AT bunker

This is an anti-tank bunker I put together using a spare Zis-2 barrel from the Plastic Soldier Zis-2 & -3 kits I posted on a while back (http://sedimentswargameblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/20mm-ww2-russian-zis-2-and-3.html).  You get spare barrels to complete each gun as a Zis -2 or -3, so in my case I had two spare Zis-2 barrels.

I built a rectangular box on an mdf base, using balsa sheet offcuts, and based the barrel on another piece of balsa.  The earth banks were built up with blue high density polystyrene trimmed to shape and the wooden log revetting is made up of barbecue skewers.  The rear door is balsa sheet with a barbecue  skewer frame.  I used some acrylic filler to smooth everything out.  The ground surface is PVA glue mixed with earth paint and sprinkled with sand.  Static grass and various colours of grass tufts were added to finish it off.  The 20mm Russian soldier provides scale.

Quite pleased with this as, apart from a pack of skewers from the pound shop, the only cost was the price of the large base and a smaller mdf base for the roof.




I might add a concrete wall on a smaller base to screen the rear entrance from direct fire, just for completeness.

Thanks for looking.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic work and very useful for myself to copy at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Glad you enjoyed it.
      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
  2. Wow Andy, that looks fantastic!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. I was going to do some bunkers for Vietnam as well, until I saw the range from Ironclad Miniatures, worth a look if you're still doing Vietnam or any similar modern campaigns.

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'll take a look. I really want bunkers I can put guys in.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete