Translate

Wednesday 21 January 2015

20mm USMC in desert MARPAT

First out of my Christmas present bag of Enduring Freedom US Marines from Elheim were 2 packs of MCA01 USMC Squad Leaders carrying M4 carbines.  I've painted these in desert MARPAT, using a method heavily influenced by that in the FonF Enduring Freedom book, but tweaked to incorporate some ideas from the internet and some of my own.

The figures were base coated light grey, then washed with US tan earth.  The uniform was lightly, then heavily dry brushed Iraqi sand and finally lightly dry brushed deck tan.  The body armour and webbing was washed English uniform and dry brushed khaki.  Then the whole lot was washed in strong tone ink diluted 2:1 with flow improver.  Weapons and helmet bracket were painted NATO black, faces in skintone.  Weapons were dry brushed basalt grey and faces dabbed sparingly with strong tone ink undiluted.  Goggles were painted English uniform or Iraqi sand and sun glasses were painted NATO black with aluminium for the lenses of the goggles and sun glasses.  Sealed with two layers of matt varnish.

Here are the two sets alongside a die cast AAVP7 that I picked up off Ebay.


One of the squad leader packs - I like the way these look.


A close up.


A team photo.


As ever, thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    I like those alot, great work. Watching a couple of AAVP-7's at the moment for my Italians I will use them as LVTP-7 for my Marines.
    Cheers
    Richard P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard,
    Good luck with the auctions.
    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete